Thursday, March 21, 2013

Guitar build, scarf joint

Well, I began building the classical guitar that I have neglected to start for almost a year now (due in part to law school, it gets in the way of everything...). I decided to start blogging some of my progress, but only after I made the scarf joint cut on the neck blank. I will try and do a better job of taking pictures as I go along.

After I cut the scarf joint, I had to plane down the cut to get it smooth and flat for gluing it to the other part of the neck.
Here you can see the progress with planing. I don't remember the saying exactly, but they say a craftsman is only as good as his tools. A good plane is both sharp and honed, and having little experience doing either, I spent some time with The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack. Very helpful book for the amateur (me), and I got my Stanley 220 plane working much better, but still have room for improvement.

This is the joint held together.

And here it is before I clamped it up.

Finally, I got it clamped and went in to make dinner. All for now!